Khaled Hosseini is without any doubt, a genius and a man of letters. He is one of my favorite authors and he made me fall in love with Afghanistan, his homeland, and made me ponder upon the atrocities taking place all over the world. He made me see beauty in little things, little acts of kindness that leaves a mark on your heart.
Recently his new book called Sea prayer got released and I cannot wait to get hold of it. In the meantime, let us reminiscence Hosseini’s past novels.
Here are some of my favourite quotes from Hosseini’s novels.
1. When you kill a man, you steal a life. You steal his wife’s right to a husband, rob his children of a father. When you tell a lie, you steal someone’s right to the truth. When you cheat, you steal the right to fairness. -The Kite Runner
2. She said, ‘I’m so afraid.’ And I said, ‘why?,’ and she said, ‘Because I’m so profoundly happy, Dr. Rasul. Happiness like this is frightening.’ I asked her why and she said, ‘They only let you be this happy if they’re preparing to take something from you. –The Kite Runner
3. Of all the hardships a person had to face, none was more punishing than the simple act of waiting. -A Thousand Splendid Suns
4. And the past held only this wisdom: that love was a damaging mistake, and its accomplice, hope, a treacherous illusion. And whenever those twin poisonous flowers began to sprout in the parched land of that field, Mariam uprooted them. She uprooted them and ditched them before they took hold. –A Thousand Splendid Suns
5. Each snowflake was a sigh heard by an aggrieved woman somewhere in the world. All the sighs drifted up the sky, gathered into clouds, then broke into tiny pieces that fell silently on the people below. As a reminder of how women suffer. –A Thousand Splendid Suns
6. You say you felt a presence, but I only sensed an absence. A vague pain without a source. I was like a patient who cannot tell the doctor where it hurts, only that it does. -And the Mountains Echoed
7.But it is important to know this, to know your roots. To know where you started as a person. If not, your own life seems unreal to you. Like a puzzle. Vous comprenez? Like you have missed the beginning of a story and now you are in the middle of it, trying to understand. –And the Mountains Echoed
Well. I need to stop now because basically every word, every sentence written by Khaled Hosseini is my favourite and personally they mean a lot to me because everything he talks about is so relatable.
Don’t forget to share your favourite quotes from these novels in the comment section below. Have a good day.